Good times had by all and we can't wait for the LSU game this weekend!
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Good times had by all and we can't wait for the LSU game this weekend!
Monday, September 28, 2009
Old door (for reference):
Please note the doors are gray because they primed and not painted (I opted not to pay the additional $300 for a few coats of latex paint). Looks great, right?!? Well, they do - except for the fact that that isn't the hardware that I chose. I wanted oil rubbed bronze NOT brushed nickel. I call my sales rep, tell him I got the wrong hardware and he says he'll call me back later once he figures out what happened. He calls today, Monday.
The new new (shot of both doors):
Old back door:
New back door:
New side door:
Friday, September 25, 2009
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
I used to work at this place...for like a second. I quickly realized that waitressing wasn't my forte. And neither was hostessing or to-go orders:We got lucky and didn't have this type of situation near our house. I did stop to reminisce about when I first purchased my home and my agent asked if I wanted flood insurance. I immediately said 'no' - we don't get floods in Atlanta! Come on!
Monday, September 21, 2009
Friday: We took it easy. I had every intention of cleaning, so that I didn't have to do so much on Saturday (since we had people meeting at our house to go out for Gretchen's birthday), but I slept instead. Although, the door guy called me and said that the doors had been picked up. But they can't be installed until Tuesday...so remind me again why we rushed to get the doors that quickly when they are going to sit in your warehouse for five days? Mmmmkay. Shane and I can't be here tomorrow so I'm holding my breath for a Wednesday install.
Saturday: We got up early, Shane had to take our lawn mower to the repair shop and I started cleaning. I left a little while later to go to my friend (and boss), Melissa's, baby shower. It was a good time and she got a TON of good stuff. I got home around 3 to meet the electrician, who fixed the light in our kitchen...not sure what was wrong (he was talking, I was kind of listening) but it was free. Everyone arrived around 5:45 p.m. to head out to Stats for Gretchen's birthday, and we had a great time! I'll let the pics tell the story...Happy B-day, Gretch!
Sunday: Um, it was raining...shocker. So, I did absolutely nothing. Just watched TV, napped, did a little work - very relaxing.
Hope everyone gets their week off to a good start! For all of you in the Southeast...stay dry, my friends.
Friday, September 18, 2009
I’m also having to have an electrician come out to look at one of our lights in the kitchen that keeps blowing the bulb. The dude that installed the lights was extremely odd, and I think that he fudged some stuff up. This is going to be the second time the electrician has had to come out to look at shorts in the lighting wires…oh well, hopefully it’s something they did and I won’t have to pay anything.
And, what the heck is up with the weather in Atlanta??? It has rained everyday this week, it feels like, and is supposed to continue into the weekend! We are celebrating our friend, Gretchen’s, birthday tomorrow night with everybody meeting at our place for some pre-partying and then heading to Stats, in downtown Atlanta, to watch the UGA v. Arkansas game…I’m sure it will be a crazy night!
Hope everyone is having a great Friday – have a great weekend!
Thursday, September 17, 2009
Here’s the situation:
- We ordered both the windows and doors before Memorial Day weekend. Windows are custom order…okay. Doors take 6 weeks, but the windows take 8-10, so we were good. We were told they would come together.
- About two months later, we get a call to schedule our window and door installation. We get another call the day of installation saying that they couldn’t come because it was raining where they were…and they didn’t have any doors to install.
- About a month after that, they call to install the windows and doors. Both items arrived and were ready for install. Yay! They arrive at my house with the wrong doors. Hello? – I asked for two aluminum, full light doors with no grids and brushed bronze hardware, not a solid mahogany, steel reinforced, arched door with my name spelled out in wrought iron…is it really that hard?
- They said that my REAL doors would be on the truck the following Saturday (which to account for time, was the Saturday after Labor Day) and they would be installed the following Wednesday…last Wednesday. I call last Tuesday to confirm and I’m informed that the doors weren’t on the Saturday truck, but that they would be on today’s truck…Thursday of the following week.
- I call yesterday to confirm that they would be installed today. I get some attitude, and excuses about rain, but I was on the schedule and they had tracked the doors and were sure they would be here today. They call this morning around 10 a.m. to let me know they are on their way…
**Please note: For the sake of time, I leave out my color commentary, snide remarks, and the tone of my high school teenager-type attitude that I included in all of my correspondence with this vendor.
Here is where the drama ensues: I’m sitting in a department meeting, and keep getting calls from the door installer. I email Shane and ask him to call them, and a few minutes later I get a response ‘Call me, they brought the wrong doors.’ I read it, pause, and proceed to have an Ally McBeal moment in which I imagined myself screaming ‘WTF!’ and turning into the Incredible Hulk, throwing tables around, breathing fire and biting off the heads of my co-workers and peers.
I called my sales rep at 11:35 a.m. and told him that I was pissed. Apparently, it was the manufacturer’s fault…Window World ordered the right doors, but they shipped the wrong ones. They told Shane that, and he promptly ended the BS’ing by responding that he works in Logistics and he knows it’s always common practice to check your junk before you take it off the truck. Boo Ya! And what YOUR manufacturer does is none of my concern….give me my freakin’ doors. I told my sales rep that if I had to wait until the ‘truck comes in’ that I wanted my order cancelled. I hope that scared him and he doesn’t make us wait, because I really don’t want to cancel my order. We have no door knob on the back door for Pete’s sake!
It’s the end of the business day and I have yet to hear from my sales rep. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Mister.
I propose that they Fedex the doors overnight from…wherever they come from…and install on Saturday. If not, and I have to wait until next Thursday, I want a 35% discount. Why 35%? Because it’s not as ballsey as 50% and not as weak as 25%...and it’s an increment of five. Serious science going on my head…I know. Don’t be intimidated. Maybe next week we’ll tackle my reasoning and method for leaving tips and doing simple math.
Until next time…
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
We had a great time in Destin! The beach, seafood, cold beverages, live music...what more could you ask for? Well, we could have asked for Georgia to win against Oklahoma State...sad.
Thursday: Took off around 1 p.m. for Destin! We made a few stops, but made it there by about 7:30. The rest of the crew arrived, and most of us (besides the lame ones), went out to AJ's for some 'first night partying.' We hung there for a while, met up with one of our friends from the ATL, and then left to get some Waffle House. And believe it or not, it wasn't Shane's idea this time! However, while there, he did crank out a few curls on the pirate rope:
Friday: Our first beach day! The weather was beautiful and we hung on the beach all day. I didn't really feel like it was hot enough for me to put on sunscreen, so I got fried. For some reason, I feel superhuman when it comes to the sun and its rays. But my sunburn that felt like a massive burning bruise reminded me that I, too, do require sunscreen. We played bocce ball on the beach, everyone besides me, and just chilled until late afternoon. We then got ready and went out for Adam's birthday. Cool part was that we went to a seafood restaurant, and Adam doesn't like seafood...wow - good friends. We then hit up Hog's Breath and a local joint, KJ's. Hog's Breath used to be mine and Shane's fave, but not so much anymore.
Saturday: It rained a little bit, but cleared up in the afternoon. We hit up the beach again - with my entire body slathered in SPF 30. The guys all went to a local bar to watch football all day long...literally, from 11 a.m. - 10 p.m. We met up with them that night, after hearing that wings had been spilled in my car...on the carpet, and it was evident that everyone had consumed way too much over the course of the day and it was time to go home.
Thursday, September 3, 2009
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Moving on to goals...I didn't really do too bad this month:
- Paint front door a deeper shade of red - Nope, and I've decided to paint it black again. Moving to September.
- Paint kitchen ceiling - Nope, moving to September.
- Make 2 new pieces of jewelry (DONE) - Yep, check them out here!
- Finish landscaping backyard (moving concrete pad, pinestraw, grass seed) - We did some of this, but not all of it. I'm moving some of it to September and making it more specific.
- Read two books - Yep - Time Traveler's Wife and Kisscut
- Have new windows/doors installed - Half of this was completed - the windows were installed and the doors are going in on September 9.
- Pay the water bill (DONE) - Yeah, I was competent enough to pay my water bill this month! High five!
- Paint the freaking front door black. Enough already.
- Paint the kitchen ceiling. Geez.
- Make 2 new pieces of jewelry (including super secret ring project).
- Read 2 books.
- Have doors installed and painted. (That's right - we ordered them primed and not painted. I clearly have no problems with getting doors painted in a timely fashion...per goal #1 that has rolled over 5 times.)
- Clean up under deck area (i.e. Spray Round-up, lay landscaping fabric, put rocks on top)
- Lay pinestraw by the house and by backyard Oak.
- Buy paint for master bath.
These seem reasonable - I'm confident I can accomplish at least two of them.
Hope that everyone is having a happy Hump Day! Only two more days until the long weekend, but for Shane and I - we are getting started early and leaving tomorrow for Destin! I'm working half a day and we are heading down at around 1, putting us there by 7. So excited!