So, as I mentioned yesterday, we had a contractor come out last night to give us a quote on the countertops. In my post I mentioned a rough price of $40 per square foot…but those who know me well (Shane) know that I low-ball EVERYTHING! And apparently, with this guy’s products I low balled by about $10.
I also learned that they getcha’ with the sinks. We currently have a cream colored porcelain sink and I hate it. It scratches so easily and it’s cream – so it’s a nightmare to keep clean. AND – it has two bowls, but the bowl with the garbage disposal is really small (like a bar sink) and the other is extremely oversized…makes no sense. Well, I told the guy last night that I wanted a stainless steel undermount sink with two equal size bowls. ‘No problem.’
Here is the breakdown:
- 36.8 square feet of kitchen countertops x $48 square foot for Tropic Brown/Desert Brown granite = $1766.40
- Stainless Steel undermount sink with two equal bowls = $200
- Installation of sink = $249
- Demo and disposal of old countertops = $147
- TOTAL: $2362.40
Huh?!? I’m paying almost $500 for a sink??? No ma’am. He told me this was standard pricing, but that if I could find one for a better price, then I could bring it to him and he would only charge me the install.
After Shane and I talked, I decided that I was going to get a couple of other quotes and just see if it was the company that was overpriced, or if it was the granite that we chose or whatever…So, I did an online quote today with a granite company in Kennesaw, and someone responded immediately. They quoted me $37 a square foot for Tropic Brown, bringing the total more in line with what I was looking to spend.
Here is their breakdown:
- 37 square feet of kitchen countertops x $37 square foot for Tropic Brown/Desert Brown granite = $1369
- Stainless Steel undermount sink with two equal bowls = $250
- Installation of sink = $150
- Demo and disposal of old countertops = $0
- TOTAL: $1769
Still getting me on the sink, but we’re saving so much on the square footage price.It pays to shop around!!! So stay tuned for my 'befores' as we plan to make a decision by the weekend! Who knows, we might even demo that backsplash this weekend!