Thursday, December 17, 2009

Busy Week, Puppy Tumors, Award Banquet…and Have I Started My Christmas Shopping? Barely.

Last week was nuts, and this week has proved to be almost as busy! Last weekend, we went out with our friends Danielle and Mandy on Friday night in Smyrna. We got home pretty late, but surprisingly didn’t stop for our normal Taco Bell/Steak ‘n Shake/McDonald’s fare – thank god as I’ve put on the holiday 10 (pounds, that is). Saturday we got up and ran a few errands and then came home and crashed for the whole day. It was super relaxing…just laying on my couch watching TV, movies, sleeping, eating – ahhhhh. On Sunday, we went to the outlets in Dawsonville to get started on our Christmas shopping. It was successful, but we haven’t even scratched the surface on it really…we shall brave the crowds this weekend, I suppose!

To backtrack to last week, on Thursday night (at book club) I realized that Brother had this awful looking sore on his back left foot. It was a bump, the size of a small grape, between his toes and he had licked it completely raw – gross. We gave it until Monday (after keeping a sock on it all weekend so that he would stop licking it) but it still wasn’t better. Shane took him to the vet that morning, while I go to work to start doing research to make my own diagnosis. Oh, you didn’t know that I’m a general practicioner/ dermatologist/ veterinarian/ dietician/ nutritionist/genius? Hmmm…I thought I mentioned that. Anyway, I was convinced that he had an interdigital cyst which are usually lanced or aspirated pretty easily (those non-doctor types reading (right, like I have readers!) may have to google those words for reference). However, when I talked to the vet she informed me of her ‘opinion’ – a hystiocytoma, a tumor from the round cell tumor family that usually occurs in young dogs. How do I cure it? You usually don’t, they just go away on their own in three to four weeks. In the meantime, we have to apply a drop to help with the irritation, keep him from licking it and if it doesn’t go away in a month we have to take him back to have it removed. So, Shane and I have rigged up a little sock/Scotch tape deal that is effective and funny. Here is a little video of his bootie (beware - my LCD screen is still broken on my camera so this video is a little crazy shaky – sorry!):




Poor guy. Meanwhile, Beau is super jealous of Brother and is probably at home right now trying to claw his eyes out so that he can get some additional attention…maybe for an eye patch made of an old bra?

Back to this week, yesterday my department had an award ceremony (the Marketing Choice Awards – our version of the Academy Awards) to recognize our work for the year. Projects are nominated in different categories and are voted on by the department, our Research team compiles the information and then the winners are named at this event. I actually took home two awards and my friend Kelly was our team’s MVP! That means that she is fabulous and gets a stack of cash! Congrats girlie!

Who can believe that it is already Thursday? Almost a week until Christmas! This weekend, we clearly have shopping to do, Shane wants to go to Marietta Square and check out the shops and then we have a friend’s 30th birthday party on Saturday night at Leopard Lounge! I can already tell that I’m going to need to clear my Sunday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment