Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Painted Kitchen Countertops - Yay or Nay?

I'm thinking about painting my kitchen countertops. They are currently white formica with a lovely oak trim along the edging. Typical 90s style. 
And it's the exact shade as the stain on the hardwood floor. Which is the exact stain as the seat part of the barstools. Oh, the 90s. 

Anywho, with us living on one income, the days of granite countertops 'because I want them and I want them now' are behind us. One day I will have those beauts...but that day is not today. So, I started searching Pinterest and 7 hours later am totally convinced that painting them could be a pretty sweet alternative. And if it doesn't work out, then we'll just replace them...eventually!


Here are some of my inspiration photos:

via Pinterest
via Pinterest
via 

via

These aren't painted countertops - just inspiration. And clearly, I'm leaning towards black countertops and more modern cabinet hardware. I know this isn't groundbreaking design here, but I just really want to make sure that black will work for me. I have been known to change my mind. Once or five times. 

As far as how I'm going to do it, I was considering the Rustoleum Countertop Transformations product but was looking here and there are terrible reviews. However, I also found this blog post that has a great tutorial - and you get to use a blow torch. 

Hmmmm.....

3 comments:

  1. Blow Torch...COUNT. ME. IN. And...if they end up horrible, it just helps bump 'New Counter Tops' up to #1 on the 'To Do' list...it's a win/win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have been toying with the idea of DIY'ing my kitchen. I want to paint the cabinets. You go first with the countertops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the last picture with the white sub-way tiles. I would love to remodel our kitchen also, but since I don't think I'll ever remodel again, I want to make sure that it looks great, but not so stylish that it will look dated in 10 years. I've also looked at kitchen countertops for our Vancouver home. I don't think our kitchen is big enough for an island like shown in the 3rd pic.

    ReplyDelete