Monday, June 22, 2009

Wow.

Wow…sorry about that. I fell off the face of the earth for a second, but now I’m back.

I don’t have the before and afters yet, and I know what you’re thinking, ‘What the hell have you been doing for over the past week?!?’ I’m not really sure, but I do have another project to update on, though. I’ll get back to you on the B&As…

We have really been focusing on the yard for the past month or more. We wanted to wait until the deck was complete before we started the backyard landscaping, and now that that is finished, and it is 90 degrees everyday, we have embarked on the backyard landscaping adventure!

This past weekend, we rented a jackhammer, which is also referred to as an electric breaker, to bust up what used to be a shed foundation. I was pumped! I picked it up from Home Depot on my way home from work on Friday, rushed home, and wanted to get started immediately. Here are Shane and I taking care of business:


So, after about five minutes, I’m tired, hot, sweating, and done. Shane takes control, and then after about 10 minutes, wants to give it back to me. After an hour of this crap, we had only busted half of the pad. We had plans on Friday night, so we stopped around 8:30, got ready and left. We got home around 3:30 a.m., so needless to say, we didn’t get as early of a start on Saturday as I would have liked. But we were back at it on Saturday morning around 10:45…again, sweating, tired, and hot. We took turns and finally got it done around noon. Here is our final product:

Next steps:

  • Remove concrete and lay under the deck (for erosion control)
  • Fill in concrete area with remaining fill dirt
  • Pull up any crazy monkey grass that has somehow risen from the dead and bloomed again
  • Cover with pine straw

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment